Sunday, December 11, 2011

Week 15

The semester came on strong.  The fact is, that it isn’t just one class you need to get the swing of but some 5 or 6 or 7.  Five classes is what I had to deal with and the toughest part is the beginning and the end.   Off to a rocky start, with the class, I  had the little snag which I began working off another English class.  Working together, we got everything all tweaked and as they say, no harm no foul.  Back on track and doing the right class it was like learning to swim by jumping into the deep end.  With our first writing being your strengths and weakness’s, I knew I was not a strong writer but have the makings of.
I never told any people this but when I was in elementary school I was in the middle of quite a little book.  I was up to around seventy pages and it was a fiction book about fantasy dungeon and dragon style world.  I was so into the book and the only one who knew was my parents.  They really cheered me on to write it and was so proud of me.  I lost the book.  I was so upset and tried re-writing it with what I remembered but couldn’t do it.  It wasn’t the same.  I wish I could find that book and continue it.  I really enjoyed it.  Every time I would start writing it I would be almost living the story.  It was an incredible feeling of accomplishment.  That would be my dream to find that book and finish it.
With the class pretty much over I became a much stronger writer I believe.  I have another English class I am taking along with this one and it was a teacher I have previously had.  No names but she is tough, Lesley Gillis (cough).  She is great and really makes you work but is completely fair. Between both of you great teachers, I have overcome a lot of writing fears.  I will always remember the comment you made to me which, can work for me or against me, was the fact I start writing before I have an idea of where I am ultimately going with the work.  With Lesley, she always tells me its not what I say, it’s how I say it.  In other words, don’t be fancy with wording just get my ideas across clearly.  I think those are the two hardships which I need to over come to really be where I want to be as a writer.  As I said in the beginning of the class, I wish I had a vast word base.  My words are basic words and I don’t really know fancy big words.  It makes me feel like I am lacking or stupider then other classmates.
I had great experiences in this class.  I told stories which could make me look like a bad person but I am really not.  I have done things, as others have to, in which I regret but I can’t turn back the clock. I liked the idea how the class was true life personal stories.  It brought up a lot of memories or things I haven’t touched on.  It was a little different then other English classes where it was more, read something and analyze it.  I like free writing but sometimes life experience all can go so far.  I love doing more non-fiction writing.  Through out the course I had trouble getting all the writing done due to time.  I am not a kid out of high school.  I am a thirty year old married man with two kids, a job, and other things going on.  I dug my heels in and got the most I could out of the class.  Thanks.
The class is a great class and you shouldn’t change a thing.  You are a great teacher and writer who is very forgiving and helpful which I think all teachers should take after.  You should be able to expect more out of a college student but also all college students are kids out of high school whose mommies pay for their school, car, living expenses and everything else.  A lot of college students don’t have the time which is needed so I think it’s a great thing when there is teachers such as you whom work with and not against the student.  I appreciate all the positive and negative feedback from the class. If you have any finally thing to tell me to help me grow more as a writer or any feedback please tell me.  Good or bad it all goes to the cause.  The cause, meaning, me as a writer.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I do have a reaction here: a big vocabulary base is relatively unimportant. Complex ideas can be conveyed with simple words, and some of the best writing I know is made up of nearly all single or double syllable words everyone has in their word stock. Truth is that often fancy words wind up being silly or fancy-schmancy and the world needs no more of that, thank you very much.

    Here's George Orwell taking some very simple English and tarting it up, parody style:

    I am going to translate a passage of good English into modern English of the worst sort. Here is a well-known verse from Ecclesiastes:

    I returned and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

    Here it is in modern English:

    Objective considerations of contemporary phenomena compel the conclusion that success or failure in competitive activities exhibits no tendency to be commensurate with innate capacity, but that a considerable element of the unpredictable must invariably be taken into account.



    I also want to make clear that starting writing before you know exactly where you're going is no crime--the crime is leaving those early wheelspinnings, that preliminary writing, in the final finished piece--cut cut cut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So--I'm glad that between Lesley and me, you got your money's worth!

    ReplyDelete