Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Earth moved and nothing will be the same

It all happened almost over night.  The Earth is moving at a rate which is so endless.  This makes a person ponder how time can go by so quick but be so endless.  It weird to think with the Earth spinning around at a thousand miles per hour what if it slowed down or sped up, would time be changed then or would we just have longer seasons?  I am not an astronomer but I do know that it happened over night.  The fact that I went from a boy to a man.  Nothing will be the same again.  As I stand out in the yard on the gravely surface I look around the Earths crust for something to do.  My mind has been altered.  Had I been abducted and they made it so I have no imagination or drive anymore?  I knew it!  That’s what happen, I was abducted by aliens and they took all my child hood energy and my imagination.  I am looking for any excuse to be a kid again.  Instead of diving into the sand box and working on a all out, sand box size construction project I begin to pick up a rake.  I begin to drag the rake around the back lawn gathering a small pile of leaves.  I break a quick sweat as I tackle the yard size task of making the lawn look good for who? Me or my neighbors?  You almost fall into a routine and do things to just do them not because you want to but you have to with no reason for it.  Phew, the last section of yard is down.  It all ends with a glorious pillow like pile of leaves.  It is so inviting.   Nothing may ever be the same again since I woke up that unfaithful day but wooooohoooo!  I ran at full bore knowing tomorrow I may be sore and dove into the pile.  POOF!  Leaves flew up around me.  A cloud of leaves flew into the air creating a big sky of color above.  Being an adult doesn’t mean I still cannot have fun, it just means I might be sore the next day and that night I might have to soak a body part or two.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure I get this. I understand the difference between sandboxes and rakes, and the distance between them. But adults, even newly-minted adults, don't jump into leaf piles, at least in my experience. Why would an adult need an excuse to act like a kid again? Being an adult means suiting yourself in small things and not needing excuses if leaf jumping is your thing.

    I like very much the image of giving up the sandbox for the rake, but, as I say, after that I get lost. But maybe that's just a difference in taste or worldview, and not a teacher/student or writing issue.

    ReplyDelete