Sunday, September 25, 2011

You've lost it where is it

             The year was nineteen eighty five which was a period in my life that I try to choose to block out.  It was a ordinary day in our little tin can we called our home.  We lived in a trailer, of course, in Brewer on the Day road.  It was a great place to live during this time.  There was so many other children in the park and we were all the same age to boot.  It was a ugly day out and it was about to get uglier.  Me and my two brothers were having another day of indoor play.  It was raining and the metal roof was singing away as the rain pelted it.   I still don’t know if it was us running around playing or if it was the wind gently shaking the trailer.  My middle brother was only a year older then me so it was fun because we shared the same interest.  The game we were playing was hide and seek.  I know, you are thinking how many places can you hide in a trailer? Well, that’s where you had to get creative and I did.  I found a cool place under my parents dresser.  I had to really wiggle my way in there though knocking some things around.  I was eventually found. It was but a little later on my father came home.  I don’t know how it all came about but my mother was missing her wedding ring.  The ring was on the dresser I just happen to hide under.  So I got blamed for losing it.  My father was so mad and yelled for me to come to the back bedroom.  I hesitantly ran back there knowing no good was going to come of this. “You’ve lost it! Where is it?” my Dad sternly spoke.  I told him I didn’t touch it or see it but it did not matter it was my fault.  I turned to walk back up the hallway and I felt a stern hand grab my arm from behind.  It doesn’t take a genius to know what came next.   Yeah, the other hand right across my ass.  Not once or twice but three times a charm. I got away and ran up the hall to my bedroom crying.  I had a good hiding spot to hide from him and it was in between the two beds pushed together.  I finally came out when my mom came in the room, “Michael?  I’m sorry are you alright?” I came out and told her once again I didn’t lose the ring and she replied saying she knew. I guess while I was hiding they were looking for the ring.  They found the ring that had some how got lost inside the jewelry box.  The ring slipped down in behind the shelf of a drawer on the jewelry box.  So what was a great day turned out to be a day I have never forgotten.  Not only did my dad not believe me but he blistered my ass and for what….. Nothing.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you got a lesson in how to be a better dad: keep cool, be judicious, look before you whack.

    Very clean narrative style here, always useful, and a nice taste for those seemingly inconsequential details (like the two hiding places) that really help a piece.

    Break something this long into shorter grafs--makes for better writing, better reading.

    ReplyDelete