Saturday, September 10, 2011

The first time, was it the best or not?

The year was two thousand nine and I’m standing there.  I’m very nervous as if I just saw a ghost.  I was trembling on the inside but I could not show it on the outside for they all may know.  Is this the right thing to do or am I going to make the biggest mistake of my life.  I was happy with the same old so to say so why change what isn’t broke?  Being the man I was I almost felt it was my duty to do this deed.  You see, I wasn’t just doing this for my own selfish reasons I was thinking of everyone else involved too.  My son was by my side so I knew everything was going to be alright. He didn’t know it but even without saying anything to me just him being there was like a relief that I needed.  I looked down on him and put my hand on the back of his head and our eyes connected.  He probably didn’t realize what was going on but his father was about to marry his mother.
That’s right on the ninth day of October, two thousand nine I married my sons mother.  Shouldn’t I of said I married the love of my life?  Probably because she really is.  At that time I knew I loved her so much but was I doing it because I thought it was the right thing to do for my family. Again I looked down and then glanced over to were my love was going to come out from.  It was at the moment I was reassured I made the right choice.  I knew I could always say no but for life is a long time.  She must have been going through the same thing if she hadn’t been then I would think she was crazy.
I stood there nervous as I would put my hands in my pockets and jingle the rings around.  My hands would come out of my pockets and I would put them to my sides.  I did this as a nervous reaction not knowing what I should be doing as I waited for what seemed to be an eternity.  I looked over the big bright white limo my soon to be wife was in like I was going to see her through the blacked out tint.  Was she going to come out or scream to the driver, “DRIVE LETS GO.”  That would be more embarrassing then hurtful for those first few moments.  Then the door opened up and she followed my daughter down the walk way.  She was in the most beautiful gown and her hair was like shining as the sun beamed down on her.  I felt at that time as if it was shining just above her.
She finally got down to the gazebo where me, my son, and the priest was and I was astonished at her beauty.  I knew then she was my first and my best wife ever or soon to be.  I hugged her and told her I loved her and how beautiful she was.  Again she looked amazing.  The priest said what he needed and we said a couple I do’s and on with the rings it was.  We now were married until death do us part.  I did the right thing and I had hoped she felt the same way.  In some way I felt so much closer to her almost like a higher level of love if such a thing.  We were as close as two people could be for better or worse.
This was the first and hopefully only time I’m going to marry anyone.  This is going to be the best forever no matter if we divorce or not.  Just like the first love of you’re life when you’re in middle school.  Everyone remembers her the girl that broke your heart and you would feel like you could die.  Well, my wife is going to be like that girl but forever.  We were finally a real family, not that we weren’t, but you know how it is the stereo typical married parents with a child family.

1 comment:

  1. This piece has some nice description, visuals, a little drama and suspense, a story line, human interest--just what any reader looks for. Very nice surprise in the last sentence, first paragraph--you pull that off very well.

    ReplyDelete