Saturday, September 10, 2011

Photo Album

I never really collected a lot of pictures through out my life.  When I was a child my parents to many pictures but they have them all not me.  You would think with kids I would have more pictures but I kind of take them in flurries.  I will go through a camera kick and then forget all about it.  We will plan this nice family outing and get there for a picture perfect time and where is the picture taker? Right on the table at home.  The pictures I have say a million words.  Words and pictures isn’t like being there but it can create a sense and a feeling of that wonderful or not so wonderful time.
Some of the pictures in this book make me think, where the hell has the time go? I look at ones of my kids and think to my self I know they have grown but holly beeeep.   It’s crazy looking back at how cute they were and innocent.  Now they are no where near cute and innocent.  They are cute and menaces.  I guess I can’t blame them or get mad at them though because I remember I would want to do this or that when I was that age.  The best part about pictures is the big aww moment.  Pictures can talk and they tell a story.  The story of the times people have.  My picture book has periods of time where I forgot the camera though.  My daughter would be 3 then next thing I no there is no pictures until she was 4.  It can be frightening to think of the greatness that was.  You can flip and flip through the book and it brings back flashes of even things that were said of that day.
It’s true what they say, pictures do tell a million words and they are more then just a picture.  They are a memory and a stopped moment in the world.  It is like hitting the pause button at that moment in your life.  They have just as many emotions as a person can have just by looking at them.  The best part about the pictures in my photo album is that the pictures are of me and my family.  These are the memories that mean more than a million words and are the moments that I don’t even need these pictures.  These are moments of the heart.

1 comment:

  1. This is about the album, about the passing of time, about change--without ever really giving us a close-up of you, your family, or even giving us the description of a single photo in the album.

    It's a cheat on the reader not to give us a single visual or a mini-story with a topic like this.

    So, I'd say you load yourself up with handicaps here avoiding the pictures themselves, but, given those handicaps, you do have some interesting to say about the things you do choose to write about.

    ReplyDelete