Saturday, September 10, 2011

Through out my life

Everyone says their generation was better then the others.  I feel mine was pretty great to be a child.  You see it all started when I was a little boy growing up in Brewer, Maine.  The setting was the 80’s.  Everything was booming in these time.  I grew up next to a trailer park which had many kids and they all happen to be my age.  What more could I ask for.  The worst part about it is putting a bunch of trouble makers together in one spot and not really having the parents keep a great eye on them.
I grew up with the best cartoons.  To bad they were only on Saturday’s though.  One day a week for cartoons was not a good thing for kids but at least we actually went outside unlike kids of today.  Transformers, Voltron, G.I. Joe, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were and are some legendary cartoons.  We lived for them shows and every Saturday morning we would all huddle around the cheesy color TV that was as big as a dresser but yet still only 29 inches big.  To top all of this off, once a month we had the greatest show, at that time, on Earth, World Wrestling Federation.  It was a Hulk-a-mania world but I like The Ultimate Warrior.
I think everyone at this time was playing with the same toys.  They were all the toys from the shows we watched.  We would all get together and put each of our Voltron toys together and make the giant machine.  I had the green Voltron.  Green was my favorite color.  Lego’s were my favorite.  I would make big bases with them and take some of my little green army men, yeah the ones that were stationery, and have massive wars.  These battles were worse then the Civil War.  I remember this one toy, which I wish I had today,  that was the Hulk-a-mania work out set.  It came with weights, a work out tape, and some Hulk Hogan gear.  Why I had it I have no clue because I was the skinniest little kid ever.
Little did we know but the great invention hit the market, Nintendo.  What a great thing.  We loved it so much it changed everything for us.  Instead of once a week huddling around the television it was more like at least once a day.  We jammed out on every game we could get our hands on.  Even the adults loved it.  This was a mind boggling thing.  We were already use to the Atari and the Kilikovision but this machine was the most incredible thing and until this day still is. We couldn’t have asked for more until the Super Nintendo came out. When we would have sleep over’s we would see if we could pull all nighter’s in our little bed tents playing Nintendo.  Zelda was my favorite game.
I wish this era in my life never ended ever.  We had so much fun and after that we grew older and older.  In other words we got less and less fun.  Really the 80’s alone is all I try to remember.  It was the high light of my life and I would give anything to get them back.  The total different state of mind and the imagination.  I try to have one of those for my kids sake but it just isn’t the same.  I kind of find myself living through my son.  My wife always tell me to grow up.  I feel we all need to have that little bit of child in them in order to be an adult.  You learn everything from you’re child hood and it makes you as a person.

1 comment:

  1. That's fascinating--the revolution in kids' entertainment. I guess I sort of knew it was happening, but you make it very sharp by offering the kid's point of view: you go from one morning a week to once a day, at least, and never look back (and you wonder why kids today don't play outside!)

    So the next-to-last graf here really cements this piece, locks you into an era, shows history impacting your life--very nice!

    ReplyDelete