Sunday, November 6, 2011

A pin pricks my skin....

I know it is coming.  Closer and closer the doctor comes to my arm.  The rubber band wound tight around my bicep.  I brace for the impact of the sharp tip piercing into my vein.  I have plenty of time to think.  Life has almost come to a halt with my emotions still flowing.  I talk to myself telling myself it is not going to hurt.  Come on though it is something poking into my flesh.  How is this not going to hurt.  Am I syking myself out?  Either way this is about to happen.
I try to focus on the same old picture on the doctors wall. The picture is of a landscape.  It is so pretty and I wish I was there now.  The sun setting on a lake.  A loon gliding through the water.  A few small ripples behind the loon as to show it swimming.  I looked at the next picture.  A man was just sitting in a landscaping.   This one, however, was of a babbling brook.  Both have water in them.  Is there a reason for that or is it just a coincidence.  Have you ever notices similarities of every doctors office.  Simple office style rooms.  Landscape pictures on the walls. That smell of clean but not a pretty smell.
I feel the elastic release from my arm.  “All done.” The doctor says.  I never felt the shot at all.  Had it really just happened.  It must have because I have a new tweedy bird band aid.  Is that what the pictures were for? Either way they allowed me to take my mind off the shimmering needle that just attacked my arm.  Something so small can be so scary.  It is probably just the thought of it.

1 comment:

  1. That second graf is a corker! Simple, insightful, funny, sharp, a pleasure to find on my daily rounds of the blogs!

    ReplyDelete