Sunday, November 13, 2011

week 11 writing

A new job.  A new boss.  I tried to enlighten myself with the appearance of this run down work truck. New signs on the side saying Springbrook Management.  Do looks matter?  Obviously not to the customers. There was no rust but it was more less the thick slew of dirt the over took the paint.  On the back was written, “wash me.”  Someone knew the truck needed aid.  I peaked through the window waiting for my charriotte door to open.  The lock made that sound telling me it was okay to enter.  I didn’t know if I should trust this side step.  Would it hold the weight it was about to have to bare?  I wasn’t about to take that chance.  It was a long way up and my short legs struggle to get into the cab of the truck.  The interior was dark gray. It didn’t hide the stains well.  The dust was thick.   It had the appearance of a light brown dash rug.  Sharpies played a large role in the character of this truck.  Someone must own no paper due to the close to fifty numbers writing through out the cab of the truck.  It was like the yellow pages puked in the truck.  Yet with all this dirt lied a green pine tree scent.  What was the purpose it couldn’t help the wreaking of a hard days work that filled the truck. This truck had all the bells and whistles of what a man should she be familiarized with.  As the motor purred and we set off…. I knew I was in for a good hard day of work with little play. Other then a slight vibration and the humming of the off road tires this truck was beautiful.. This told me to not judge a book by its cover.

1 comment:

  1. As you may have guessed by now, I'm a great fan of avoiding that step too far, that step that makes explicit what is already implicit, the step that denies the reader the chance to draw his own conclusion. So, for me, the last two sentences could be dropped--you have already made clear with that wonderful detailed rendering of the truck what it looks like and make equally clear by the end that it's a truck for go, not show.

    Nice stuff!

    ReplyDelete