Sunday, November 6, 2011

Where they begin they will be back

I grew up in a small town. Dedham, Maine exactly.  We all are so close.  Family and friends literally next door.  Their parents and their parents parent’s are all still living here. Everyone always has dreams of leaving some where different then this small ignorant town.  We call them Pipe Dreams.  This town is littered with pot heads.  They all have these big dreams to do big things and nothing ever changes.  Even their grass is long.  That shows their simpleness.  Their laziness.
Every year or every other year someone that talks about leaving does.  They plan on never coming back.  I know they will be home though.  We actually bet on when they will return.  Or who they will call when they run out of money from partying or wearing their welcome out.  Typically the place they go is Florida.  Big surprise.  Everyone dreams about going there.  No one ever takes off for more then 6 months.
I have my money on 5 months.  Cousin after cousin and friend after friend.  Move and come back.  They come back with horror stories.  These people are not regular people. They are drug addict losers.  I hate to call them friend.  They are more like people I grew up with.  I have no choice to like them.  I Am stuck with them.  Neighbors and family members.  Here there and every where.  Some time they will get so fucked up they will just start driving down.  Sometimes little or no money in their pockets.  They wonder why it never last.
It doesn’t really matter where they begin from.  They will be back.  I’m sure it happens in other towns and not just my town.  We all have big dreams of getting out of this cold whether.  Florida is beautiful.  Beautiful beaches, water, weather, and of course women.  What’s not to love about the thought of living there.  Especially compared to here.  I have the same dream.  I Haven’t followed through with mine.  Am I scared to?  That is maybe a little of it. Most of it is my wife. She has no want to move there. Opinions are like assholes we all have one.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very interesting piece, very powerfully presented--something the school literary magazine might like if you're interested.

    " That is maybe a little of it. Most of it is my wife. She has no want to move there. Opinions are like assholes we all have one. " For me, those last few sentences could have been dropped as distractions.

    ReplyDelete