Sunday, November 27, 2011

week 13 I wanted and lost

I don’t know how it all came about but it happened.  The cats were here and that is all that mattered to me.  Me and my future wife lived in this small little house in which we rented.  Being on a main road you would think that we would hear all the traffic passing by but we couldn’t.  We enjoyed that a lot.  What we enjoyed most was the company of the many people that stopped in to see us.  I enjoyed all the company.  Different friends and relatives all the time and even sometimes I wouldn’t even like them but I enjoyed their company still.  For the want of company I got it whether it was good or not.
You had to pick and choose your battles and that was one of them.  On person whom came by on the regular was my girls uncle.  He was an older fellow but he took a great liking to me.  Gay as could be he was but I made sure first thing their was no misunderstanding.  He appreciated me being honest as everyone does and we hit it off.  He was a prior chef who worked at many famous restaurants around the country and use to make me things all the time.  Hopefully his potentially want for me was never an issue between us because we had a great friendship.
My birthday rolled around and I received no presents or even a call from all my so called friends.  I never wasted my time caring and that’s how I grew to choose.  Everyone seemed to want something from me and I blew their wants off.  I knew how they really all were.  People show their true colors eventually and it was a way for me to know how they are.  Her uncle though, got me two great gifts and a cake.  The cake was not an original cake it was a whoopee pie cake.  He knew me well.  The presents were great it was camping gear and I loved camping.  He knew what I wanted.
Was this all because of his sexual preference.  Not at all but most would insist it was. He was just a nice guy and he loved his niece.  I took great care of her and he knew it.  I received this call from a friend of both me and her uncles.  It was disappointing.  I knew he was diabetic and he went into a diabetic shock.  The one man that cared for us was having health issues beyond my control.  I felt helpless and I looked for a way out of this mess but all I got was a seat in the waiting room.  The things you always want and care about always seem to turn into something else.
He was dead by this time.  He lost his battle which he had won for years.  I always seem to lose the things that are most dear to me. He was one of them.  I only knew him for about 3 years but that was long enough to know he was a great guy.  Bad things always happen to good people and this was another prime example of this.  From this simple want of a great friend the friend was lost.  I had all kinds of emotions running through me like was it my fault, I asked him for a cake (did he eat it while making it, and other questions kind of blaming myself but the simple fact was it was his time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not looking for a rewrite because I don't have any suggestions for improvements, but I don't think this works--it feels disjointed, unfocused, and the tone is off in a way I can't really explain, but that's my gut reaction. Can't win them all!

    ReplyDelete