Sunday, November 27, 2011

week 13 my precious box

I could be considered a hoarder but I don’t think I am.  I always save many trinkets and others little memory artifacts for my pleasure.  I have a hard time letting go of the past.  Missing my childhood and never wanting to grow up is just part of my issues.  I like to hear songs from my past, game systems, and other reminders from my childhood.  The eighties were great and we all know that.  Hair bands and Nintendo what more does anyone need.  It is funny because as I go through boxes in my closet which I have no remembrance what fills these boxes.
I saved everything in my cardboard drawer.  My blue cast was right on top and I almost didn’t even dare to touch this.  This cast had impressionable writings on it from eighth grade friends.  I could barely read some of the words on it where they have been so weathered.  The cast was full of love letters from my middle school years and notes which buddies wrote back and forth to me.
It was funny to see these letters and this cast.  Such simple things that brought up hurtful memories from my this time in my life.  I keep around this box full precious materials to remember certain situations of my past.  To other people in this world these box full of my precious memories would mean nothing.  As time goes by these trinkets will always be here to remind me. Who would have any meaning for this dirty old cast full of notes from my broken ankle I had in the eighth grade.
As I dug threw this box some more I found other neat little life reminders.  A rock collection from my Dad, a coin collection which I received many of them from different family members, and even something as stupid as a ring I found at Echo Beach.  I keep it all and it is so “I” can look back.  Then it hit me.  A shimmering in the corner of my eye.  I knew what it was instantly but tried to ignore this part of my life due to the immense emotion it had brought on.
My grandfathers cuff links is was this shimmering was.  Why it was so dear to me was the fact he had passed away.  He was a great guy and meant a lot to many people but he had a special meaning to me.  These cuff links were more then just cuff links.  They told a story of his life.  They told a story of his struggle with cancer which he over came multiple times only to trip over his oxygen line and hit his head and pass away before his time.  These cuff links had meaning to all that seen them but they had there own special meaning to me.  That is why they were in my box of special items which I will remain saving through out my life and time.

1 comment:

  1. Such simple things that brought up hurtful memories from my this time in my life. I keep around this box full precious materials to remember certain situations of my past. To other people in this world these box full of my precious memories would mean nothing. As time goes by these trinkets will always be here to remind me. Who would have any meaning for this dirty old cast full of notes from my broken ankle I had in the eighth grade.

    This starts and ends strong, but I think that italicized material in the middle could go--just wheelspinning and repetition til you get to the cuff links.

    ReplyDelete