Monday, October 3, 2011

A room or rooms

Another day is about to start.  I open the bedroom gently turning the knob to not wake up my wife who is still cuddled up amongst the numerous blankets on the bed.  I fling the door open in order to keep the squeaking of the hinges to a minimal.  I don’t know if it helps but I feel it may so I do it anyway.  I don’t know why I got through all this trouble just to exit the bedroom when prior to all this my son comes in and opens the door and shuts it.
“Dad wake up come on it’s morning!” He states on a daily basis.
“I’ll be out in a minute.” I mutter back.
He then returns to the door and opens it and slams it shut.  I don’t think he means to but it’s just his routine. Just as I close the door and begin to limp with my achy morning feet into the living room I hear a scratching at the door I just closed. I know instantly what the faint noise is.  The cats!  Ugh… You think I would learn by now to make sure one of the cats were not in the room.  They are very frisky in the morning.  Through out the day they don’t want to be touched but first thing in the morning they rub against you to the point of annoyance.  They use your legs like an obstacle course of those orange caution cones. I limp back to the door and once again I begin to go about the task of opening the bedroom door once again.
To no surprise the cat runs back into the room to hide under the bed.   The room has many places for the cat to crawl under.  The furniture in the room is real elaborate and is something you would see out of the 1500’s.  It is very extravagant and detailed.  The paint looks weathered over time but is done to look like this on purpose.  It is a lavish set of five pieces all together and is fit for a king and queen.  The tops of the dressers and end tables are a smoky marble color while the rest is a rustic yellow kaki color.  The bed is the center piece of it all due to the pillar style bed frame.  It barely fits height wise even with eight foot ceilings.  It is dressed out around the top with a eight inch molding that frames out the top of the four pillar columns.  The thing that puts this bed over the top and makes it fit for a king and queen is the laced bed gown that hangs from the ceiling like curtains around all sides of the bed.
Finally, the cat comes out from under the bed to rub against me so I grab him and exit the room through six panel pine door that now has been opened and closed on three separate occasions.  My son awaits for me across the living room on the couch.  I kind of chuckle every time I see him.  It makes me chuckle due to the fact he is so small and the couch is oversized.  It’s all a tan leather couch but isn’t that hard dark brown leather.  This is a soft top cut leather.  The cushions wrap around you like race car driving seat.  It’s hard to get up off of the couch once you are sucked into its love.  My son saved the best spot for me, the end of the couch which reclines to a point where you are laying parallel with the floor.  This makes it easier to get to that point of love.
Before I sit down I make my way across the fake wood floor to the television to turn it on.  The cats both hot on my trail looking to rub against my legs.  The television sits on a small awkward mirror black stand.  It’s little pedestal makes a person think how it holds up the over sized television.  My son piercing into the gray screen as to tell me to hurry without even saying a word.  I press the button firmly as it makes a bonk sound.  The sound is like a charge of electricity flood the television.  I know later on I will be paying for this flood damage.  Instantly the sound of Spongebob’s laugh echo’s through the large room.   The living room is connected to the kitchen only to be separated by a half wall the my wife hates.  I think personally it defines each room as its own but still gives the openness of being one large room. These two interconnected rooms also mingles with a third room which is a mud room.  Again I put a half wall up to separate that room but to keep them open.  Even though she hates it everyone else come in and enjoys the spacious part of the modern house.  The walls in all three rooms match due to the fact my wife picked the colors.  They are different shades of browns and tans framed out by a glossy white trim.  Everything littered upon the wall is in cahoots with the next.  These rooms are filled with pictures, trinkets, and other items which fill the rooms to their maximum capacity with being a cluttered mess. This makes it great for my son but not for us because he always brings his toys out in the living room to play while he watches the big screen.
On that note I walk to the couch tripping over the weaving cats between and around my legs and only to step on one of his toys.  It hurts like no other when this happens.  Thank god the toy this time was a matchbox car and not some weapon for his G I Joe with a sharp edge not that a matchbox is any better.  My son chuckles without even taking his eyes of Spongebob and his friend Patrick’s  brainless adventures.  The curtains were closed and just a glimpse of the dreary day could be viewed between the cracks of the two dark brown curtains wispily hanging stationary.  The dark brown curtains are nice when the sun is beaming in it stops the sun in its tracks and allows us to keep viewing the television without seeing a big misshaped glare across the screen.  The television is in perfect sink with the sun in the evening which is the main time we watch television.
I sat beside my boy who kept a seat open for me beside which happens to be the crack of the couch.  You know the where the sections hook together but it always leaves that uncomfortable gap.  They make it so hard to connect the couch but talk about how easy it is when in actuality they should be talking about how easy it comes apart and you have to fix it.  So, in other words, half of the 7 different sections are disconnected from each other.  Above the couch on the ceiling sit’s a fan which right now is on giving off a gentle breeze onto me who is dressed in shorts and a tee.  This doesn’t quite cut it though, that breeze is a little to chilly on this autumn morning, especially when the heat isn’t running yet.  I like to save fuel as much as the next person.
I grab a blanket which lie’s half on the couch and half on the floor and cover me and my boy up.  I slide over a bit more on his cushion squeezing him against the arm of the couch.  I don’t think he minded because I think he was a little cool to and was using me for the blanket while I used him for his seat.  Now that we were both settled in for the long haul of Spongebob and other cartoons on this Saturday morning my son says, “Dad I’m hungry get me some breakfast.”  
I think to myself, “figures now he says it  now that I am all comfy and sitting down.”

1 comment:

  1. Whew, I said in a recent comment that you were thorough, but this piece takes the cake. Every detail really helps the place description, but does more besides: it creates human interest and a picture of a family morning and a father/son relationship.

    And it cements my dislike for cats, not that I ever need much of a push in that direction.

    :)

    ReplyDelete