Saturday, October 22, 2011

Vingette

As I lay there in the bed I realize I’m not quite comfortable.  I re-shim the pillow under my head to the point the lovely lady laying next to me awakes.  I feel bad but the pillow needs to be perfectly fluffed upon my head.  I hate to get up the next morning with that creaky achy pain that lies deep in your neck.  It seems to never go away and will last within you for days or even weeks.  It is hard to judge the perfect fluffed pillow but you know it’s time to stop when you wake your better half up.  Whether the pillow was perfect or not I knew I had to be done or should would tell me to stop moving.  I think to myself, “at least I made the pillow have that cold spot.”  Who doesn’t like flipping the pillow in order to achieve that short moment of coolness upon the back side of your head.
The cats, as always, are at the bottom of the bed curled up.  They won’t stay there long because night time is their time to raise hell.  Their names are Bonnie and Clyde which make perfect sense for these two.   As I look over to see if my wife is still awake I notice her book still lays upon her chest.  I chuckle inside knowing she must of fell asleep reading.  I wanted to make sure she didn’t know the cats were in here.  She hates the cats and would of booted them off the bed.  I am complete opposite, I think its nice when they are all cute looking at the foot of the bed.  I pulled the covers up to my chin and finally curled up to fall asleep.  The blanket was tucked under the cats so I had to distract them in doing this. Oh well, I was tired from a long day and just wanted to buckle down and fall asleep.
It was going to be another one of those nights where you lie there and lie there and for the life of you cannot fall asleep.  I had thoughts running ramped all through my mind.  I think I was just over tired.  You think being over tired you would just fall asleep before hitting the pillow but you don’t.  I was perfectly comfy in the bed at this point and couldn’t wait for dreams to start flowing.  I wish at this point counting sheep would really work but that would keep me up longer.  As I chuckled again I thought maybe I should grab my wife’s book and read it.  It seemed to work for her but I knew that wasn’t an option at this point.  I grabbed my mask for my sleep apnea machine, strapped it to my head, and clicked the on button.  I knew I was forgetting something….and…..off….to….sleep….I…went.

1 comment:

  1. This comes close to working--here's what throws me off: switching between past and present tenses (either will work but gotta be consistent one way or the other) and switching between 'you' and 'I' (only 'I' will work.)

    So for this reader it was like hopping across a muddy field on stepping stones, hoping that I would stay supported but finding myself slipping into the mud over and over.

    Putting all that aside, it was a clever piece, focusing a lot of attention on something very small (and I like that approach), generating some juice, and not taking itself too seriously.

    ReplyDelete