Saturday, October 29, 2011

You never know what you have until it is gone.

As we wandered around a pond up in behind our house are dog ran frantically ahead.  He had to have to lead.  It was most annoying but I wasn’t going to try and keep up with him.  The pond was no ordinary pond.  It was late fall and parts were frozen but most wasn’t.  A half fallen down fence stood between the trail and the water.  The dog ran out and we called for him not to.  He the fell in through the ice.
********
Our dog smelled horrifying.  We gave our dog a bath.  He now smells like Pert Plus.  He leaped from the tub and darted through the house.  He shook off the water numerous times.  Wet spots now ruled the house.  I wanted to hold him but by this time he was only half dry.  He was after all my best friend.
*********
The dog played a great part in my life.  He helped me when I was scared.  He helped me when I was sad.  He helped me whenever I had any kind of feeling whether it was good or bad.  He greeted me always with kindness even if I was mean to him.  I always took him for granted I suppose.  You just never know when something could happen. When you take something for granted that is when something bad always happens.
*******
Now that I realized al this I now make sure I let people know I love them.  Where ever I go.  No matter how long.   I could be just running out to my truck to grab something.  “Love you, be right back in.”  I will tell whoever is around.   One small trip down the stairs is all it could take.  You cannot let the worrying of this slight chance of something happening to you consume your life.  You do, however, need to take advantage of the ones that care about you.
*******
When is loving someone to much.  Is it when they are no longer with us.  I do now over love people to much  because of the loss of my best friend and more.  He meant the world to me and I never let him know this until it was to late.  You never know what you have until it is gone.  Take that to the grave.

1 comment:

  1. This one is a little too scrambled for me to figure out. Dog goes through ice (been there many times). Dog drowns or dog needs a bath? Not sure. Same dog described throughout or various dogs from the past? Not sure. Jump from dogs to people? Not sure why you would do that in the writing.

    ReplyDelete