Sunday, October 30, 2011

You never know what you have until it is gone rewrite

I have a dog and his name is Jake.  He lived a long life.   He was a Brittany Spaniel and was giving to us by my father who was going to kill him.  Being a five year old bird dog his life was over in my fathers eyes.  Not to me though.   Little did I know Jake was soon to be a best friend and more.  I always took him for granted in day to day life.  I think we all take things for granted.   The sad part about it all is we really just never know when the things we take for granted are no longer.
******
My best friend Jake was no exception.  We got the dog when I was 9.  Kids go through a lot is school.  He was my shoulder to cry on.  He never judged me and was always nice to me no matter how mean I was to him.  When I was sick he was there for me.  When I was sad or happy he was there.  One day though, I tried not to think about it, he may not be there for me.
******
Whenever I was sick, I thought he could heal me.  Jake was a dog to me that could do it all.  I always tried to sneak him in my room and get him to sleep with me but he never would.  We always played together running around the house chasing each other.  Couldn’t he run so fast.  He was a pain in my butt taking him for a walk.  I would be falling over the whole time from him pulling me.  He was always the leader.   If you got ahead of him he would race ahead of you.
******
To others, Jake was a typically dog.  To me he was a hero.  I always took him for granted as I said and thought he would be here for ever.  Little did I know for ever was only a few years ago.  He became sick and could barely move around.  We knew it was time.  From that day on I let people know I love them even if I just go to the store at the end of the road.  You just never know when that dread full day will come.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this works much better, and I see you enjoy playing a little with time order and purposeful repetition, so week 10 ought to be a breeze for you.

    The only thing I don't get is at the start--is five old for a bird dog? You train a dog and only use him for less than half his natural life?

    Vignette 3 is my favorite for its picture of a dog's and boy's life.

    ReplyDelete